Thursday 15 August 2013

A Brief Backround

Before I get to writing about cycling, I thought I'd give my readers some background as to why I have chosen to write about cycling.
I have ridden a bike since I can remember.  My mom tells me that i was around the age of three when my training wheels came off.  I remember building wooden jumps in the cul-de-sac with the other kids from the block.  My bike was my freedom and would take me to far away places as fast as I could pedal.
When I was in my teens I was fairly successful in local mountain bike races, eventually working my way into the "junior expert" category where I raced with the likes of Ryder Hesjedal and Geoff Kabush.  As I moved up the ranks, the results became harder to come by.  As a result, my interest started to fade and by the time i was in my early twenties I was not riding at all.
When I was 23 I was diagnosed with a rare auto-immune liver disease call Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis.  I became sicker over the next few years and it became apparent that I was going to need a liver transplant if I was going to live much longer.
On December 4th 2010 I received a liver transplant.  I spent 19 days in hospital and was home for Christmas.  As a part of my recovery I thought it would be a good idea to do some cycling.  Little did I know that this would re-ignite the love I had for cycling when I was younger.
Over the next few months I will be making regular additions to my blog to share my love for cycling with others.  Thanks for reading.
Clarke.




No comments:

Post a Comment